Sunflowers are beautifully radiant annual plants, following the sun’s journey as it travels across the sky. These lovely flowers look fantastic in gardens, but it can be tricky to grow them without the proper equipment if you're a beginner gardener.
If you’re a novice sunflower carer, trying to grow them without suitable materials can result in wilting plants.
Even worse, your sunflowers could refuse to grow, leaving your garden lacking in joy. However, sunflower kits are a brilliant way to nurture healthy plants, even if you’ve never done it before.
The advantage of sunflower seeds is that they come with everything you need to look after the plant properly.
These kits make great presents for budding gardeners, they have easy to follow instructions, and are often child-friendly, too!
So, you can easily guide your little ones in developing their caring skills and reap the benefits of spending time in nature.
But, with many kits on the market, ensuring that the equipment will produce healthy sunflowers using quality additional gardening items can be tricky.
So, to save you an exhausting search, we’ve gathered a list of the best ones. Read on to find out these brilliant options that make great stocking fillers, too!
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
If you’re looking for a kit that will produce loads of shoots within a week or two, this product is ideal. The quickly growing sunflowers are something for children to get excited about!
In addition, it comes with access to a helpful video tutorial to help you understand how to nurture these plants. This means you can easily follow along without making disastrous planting mistakes.
This great kit comes with a coconut husk starter plant, easily placed on a windowsill. This means it’s excellent if you don’t have a garden as you can enjoy some greenery easily.
In addition, the coconut husk is fabulously environmentally friendly. It can be added to a compost heap to create soil for more sunflowers!
The pack comes with a plant marker so that you can keep track of what you’ve planted and when.
There’s also a helpful husk disc that can be placed in the biodegradable pot to help the sunflower seeds take root.
To help the seeds out, place the plant pot on a south-facing windowsill or outside in the sun if you live in a warm climate.
This product is highly recommended by customers, which is an excellent sign that you’ll see fantastic blooms.
In addition, some customers report that this kit grows between 15-20 little shoots, meaning you will be able to brighten up anywhere you want to put them.
Personal Experience Of Using The Product
When testing growing these seeds, we found that the biodegradable pot is sturdy enough to hold seeds. We love that it’s biodegradable and has a simple video tutorial to understand.
- Coconut husk pot - Meaning you can grow your sunflowers guilt-free, as you’re not using a plastic plant pot. This pot is beautifully biodegradable, ideal for teaching little ones to be environmentally conscious.
- Coconut husk disk - Letting you plant your seeds with the confidence that they’re being nurtured well.
- Plant marker - Allowing you to write when you planted them, reminding you how often to water them to nurture growing shoots.
- Video tutorial - Helping you to follow along with instructions at your own pace without getting confused.
- One-pot only - As the seeds are high quality, they will produce several shoots if the instructions are followed. This means you will need more pots to keep all of them.
If you’re searching for an easy-to-grow kit with relatives, even if you’re not part of a green-fingered family, this one is perfect!
It comes with everything you need to create sunflowers that are likely to grow approximately between 3ft and 5ft. Wow!
There are seeds aplenty in th, so the whole family can join in. These seeds will create loads of shoots if you carefully follow the easy-to-follow instructions.
In addition, the kit comes with 5 peat-growing pots, which are brilliantly biodegradable. This is an excellent way to get children excited about being environmentally friendly.
The pack comes with gorgeous non gmo sunflower plant seeds. These create beautiful flowers and are great value for money as an additional bonus!
To plant them, for best results, do the following indoors in spring. First, soak the peat disks provided in water, and they’ll become about 7 times bigger.
Then, break it into the provided pots and carefully plant the seeds. Give the plants a little water each day and watch them grow.
As long as the weather is warm enough, in about 2-3 weeks, they should be solid and large enough to plant in the garden, so long as there won’t be frost for a long time.
If you want, you can even give these as presents, and it would make a lovely mother’s day gift if your mom enjoys gardening.
Personal Experience Of Using The Product
We found that it produces lots of brilliant sprouting blooms and is ideal for families when testing this kit. In addition, the equipment is accessible for young children to follow with adult supervision!
- 5 peat growing pots - Meaning you can add them to a compost pile after the sunflowers have died, looking after the surrounding ecology.
- Non-gmo sunflower seeds - Letting you grow beautifully different plants, enjoying their sunny blooms.
- Peat disks - Helping provide enough nutrients to the sunflowers, encouraging all the seeds to grow well.
- Many seeds- Allowing the whole family to join in on the gardening fun without squabbling overseed numbers.
- Handy instructions - Guiding you through the planting process to don’t accidentally damage the sunflowers.
- May need more pots - As the seeds are likely to take well if the instructions are followed, you may need to buy more plant pots than is provided.
If you’re looking for a great gift idea, this sunflower kit is an excellent option! It comes in a lovely box, packaged well so that your loved ones are highly likely to be thrilled when they open it!
And it’s not just a pretty-looking product. It also includes everything you need to create these gorgeous plants.
There are easy-to-follow step-by-step instructions so that you won’t find yourself puzzled over what to do. In addition, this product comes with 5 biodegradable cups that are 3 inches wide and GMO-free.
The fact they’re GMO-free means that they’re all-natural, and nothing terrible will happen to any surrounding plants you’re growing if you use them.
The package includes a valuable coir soil disk to give your seeds the best start in life. There are 5 types of sunflowers included: Black Oil, Teddy Bear, Velvet Queen, Chocolate Cherry, and Lemon Queen. These are all-natural species, too!
Once you’ve put the seeds in their new homes, you can easily use the plant markers to note which seeds are where.
This will stop any confusion and so that when they hopefully grow, you will be able to pick out your favorites in case you want to repurchase them.
Personal Experience Of Using The Product
We love the variety in this kit. On testing it out, the blooms are so vibrant! The biodegradable element suits our environmentally friendly values, and we can imagine that it will appeal to many others.
- Step-by-step instructions - Make it child-friendly to help any kids to brush up on their reading skills and nurturing ones.
- 5 biodegradable pots - Allowing you to compost them when you’re done with them to enrich your soil.
- GMO-free - Letting you keep surrounding plants healthy because these pots are natural and won’t put harsh chemicals into your environment.
- Coir soil disk - Providing necessary nutrients so that your sunflowers bloom well.
- Pretty packaging - Meaning you can easily give it to loved ones with confidence.
- You may want more pots - Depending on the sunflowers’ success, the sprouting plants may require more space.
If you’ve never planted sunflowers before and you want a kit that will help you do this, this product is the one! There are clear instructions included, which makes having a green thumb easy.
In addition, there are pots provided so that you don’t have to go out and worry about buying the right-sized planters.
The pack comes with a mammoth and dwarf sunflower seed variety, allowing more than 6 people to join in with the planting.
This means it’s excellent for a family fun project, or if you’re a teacher and have young students who you think would benefit from taking care of plants.
Customers report that the seeds sprout super quickly, so impatient people will be satisfied with this project. Even if you’re a newbie, you will soon know whether you’ve planted the seeds correctly!
And, if you love looking after the environment, the seeds are non-GMO, meaning they’re not toxic for the soil and surrounding vegetation.
These beautiful plants are ideal for starting a flower garden for yourself, or the excellent packaging makes it highly giftable.
We believe that if you use this kit, you’ll soon find yourself immersed in the plant-growing world, creating gorgeous blooming displays.
Personal Experience Of Using The Product
The instructions are super easy to follow, making them easy to understand. It doesn’t use complicated gardening jargon, and the seed packets are clearly marked.
We adore that the biodegradable pots are also non-toxic. So those keen gardeners won’t have to sacrifice their other plants for these sunny flowers.
- Non-GMO seeds - Meaning you won’t spread harmful chemicals to your environment when you plant these sunflowers.
- Attractive packaging - Allowing you to feel happy about giving it as a present to plant-loving friends or family.
- Clear instructions - Letting you enjoy yourself without having to decipher gardening jargon.
- 5 biodegradable pots - So you can recycle them back into the soil when you’re done, adding valuable nutrients to the ecological system.
- Mammoth and dwarf seeds - Allowing you to easily position different height flowers so that they all get the right amount of sunlight.
- May need to buy more pots - Depending on the number of sprouts that come up, you may find yourself rushing out to get more plant pots.
Best Sunflower Grow Kit Buying Guide
What To Look For In A Sunflower Growing Kit
For a great sunflower grow kit, it’s best if you have everything you need to create fabulous blooms. This means you’ll need at least one pot, plant markers, a peat or coir soil disk, good quality sunflower seeds, and easy-to-follow instructions.
So when searching for a kit, make sure the product you’re interested in has all of the above elements.
How much of each item you want in the packaging depends on whether you want to do it with a large group or only for one person.
For example, if you want a product that will be enjoyed by a large family, then it’s a great idea to get a package with about 5 seed packets. This will avoid any disputes over seeds and help ensure everyone can plant the sunflowers in harmony.
On the other hand, buying a product with one seed packet is sufficient if only one person will be using the kit.
A fantastic quality kit will have a few extra brilliant details, such as attractive packaging, making it a lovely gift. In addition, the package would have 5 biodegradable and non-toxic pots with non-GMO seeds in 5 different varieties.
Being non-GMO and non-toxic means that the product won’t add harsh chemicals that damage surrounding plants.
Finally, look to see if the customers in the reviews (if any) said they had to go out and buy more pots. Many kits are very effective at helping people grow lots of sprouting sunflower seeds.
However, there tends to be a shortage of included plant pots, meaning that the sprouts quickly outgrow these containers.
This may be a factor you have to compromise on if the other elements are perfect because there aren’t many genuinely brilliant kits on the market.
Caring For Sunflowers
Sunflowers are relatively easy to care for, making them a great way to introduce children to gardening. In the first two weeks, seeds require a little water every day to help the shoots form. As the name suggests, these flowers need sun.
They thrive in a sheltered place in fertile soil, either in the ground or in a container. If you want your plant to grow super tall, planting the sunflowers in the ground will help this rather than in a container.
Plant the seeds anytime from April to May, using multi-purpose and peat-free compost in 10cm wide pots. After you know there will be no more frost, put them in the ground anytime after early June.
When planting them in the ground, water the soil well beforehand and remove any weeds. Hold the plants up using a long straight stick such as a bamboo cane. Add organic matter and leave them be.
Best Sunflower Grow Kit - FAQ's
What Is The Best Way To Grow A Giant Sunflower?
Ensure your sunflower is in full sun for 6-8 hours every day in a sheltered spot with fertile soil. The more sun they have access to, the better, and the flowers will follow the rays throughout the day.
Pick a well-drained place to plant them, dig an area approximately 2 feet deep and 2-3 feet wide, and grow the sunflower.
Add soil around the roots and a little around the stem’s base so that it’s snug in the hole. Then, compact the earth so that the sunflower remains firmly upright, without wobbling.
What Is The Fastest-Growing Sunflower?
The quickest growing sunflower is the dwarf Sunflower Choco Sun, which is multi-flowering.
This plant produces the characteristic vibrant blooms in just 11 to 12 weeks after the seeds have been sown. Place it in a sheltered area with well-draining and fertile soil to give this plant the best chance.
This sunflower often grows to about 12 inches tall, producing well-branched stems with large golden flowers and the famous brown center.
What Is The Best Month To Plant Sunflowers?
It’s best to plant sunflowers in spring, specifically late in the season when the ground is warm, and there’s no chance of frost.
The sunflowers often germinate when the soil is 70 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit. So, the ideal time to plant these sunflowers is slightly before the ground gets this warm, which means between 60 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
If you live in an icy country, it’s best to plant the sunflowers when you are sure there won’t be another frost. As sunflowers are native to warm climates, they don’t do well in freezing conditions.
- 10 Types Of Rose Plants - January 21, 2022
- 10 Types Of Pink Plants - January 21, 2022
- 15 Types Of Mint Plants - January 21, 2022